Tuesday, July 16, 2013

This is outrageous

The longer SFWA continues to tear itself apart over Vox Day, the more it reminds me of this scene:


In the event that any SFWA members or those who simply find l'affaire Vox uproariously amusing ever read this entry, for the record I want to join SFWA. Not because I think it's necessary for advancing my writing career but because I want to read these exchanges as they happen and not from a necessarily second hand source due to the SFWA forum's confidentiality rules. That's as good a reason as any to knock out a few novels and short stories eh? The peculiar thing about the politically correct rabbits is that they have such unfailingly foul mouths but the sense of humor of a Puritan pastor.

I'm reading Heinlein's Starship Troopers for the first time. It's been said so often as to become a cliché, but the differences between the book and the movie are remarkable even by the standards of the industry. Heinlein served in the military which is reflected in his prose and knowledge of the culture. I've heard the book criticized as being nothing but a vehicle for the author's political opinions, and I can see that. I recommend it though, along with anything else written by Heinlein.

No comments:

Post a Comment