Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sloth will be punished

Whose idea was it to make the Daylight savings time transition happen on a Saturday night at 2 am? Couldn't it always be on a Friday afternoon at 4 pm instead?

I slept in this morning and so went to my home parish's 11 am Mass. God was clearly displeased with me because we had a visiting priest. He's come to the parish several times over the years when his university where he serves as a professor is on break. The music I always expect to be bad. I can usually laugh off "On Eagle's Wings" during the vast desert of Ordinary Time, but during Lent it's just depressing. Father outsourced the homily to a lay woman who talked at us about stewardship, i.e. shaming us into giving more money and volunteer hours. It's wrong but it happens a lot at my home parish, so again I took it in stride. Father waited until just before the final blessing to editorialize:

"How about that Pope Francis huh? He is just so, so wonderful. The Church is entering another new spring time. Finally we have a pope who speaks of love, compassion, and reaching out to the marginalized. Whether your cross is marital difficulties, or sex, or unemployment, or whatever, Francis is listening. I've been waiting my whole priestly life for this, and I feel like something big is about to happen in the life of the Church!"

As Dave Barry likes to say, I am not making this up. Whenever Pope Benedict XVI goes on to his eternal reward, I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Cadaver Synod 2: the Spirit of Vatican II Strikes Back. I haven't been that upset by a Novus Ordo Mass in years. And I've been to the Bay Area!

No comments:

Post a Comment