Friday, March 28, 2014

The dawning horror

Drugged and indoctrinated:
The kid is a natural born leader. The charismatic-type who people will naturally follow. Naturally, this is used against the child: He’s a natural leader, therefore it is all the more important to drug him.
But, in any case, what modern parent can approach the specter of a child who doesn’t learn with any equanimity? Even a not-very-attentive adult can see that the knowledge sector of the economy is the safest haven in downturns. The gap between those with college degrees and those without is ever widening. Not just in income, but also in life areas like successful marriages and health. The option for a kid who can’t sit and learn is not a slightly less lucrative career, it’s a much more miserable existence.
How much pathological modernism can be forced into a single paragraph? Understand the (barely) implicit script presented here:
The child must go through public schooling so he can get into college so he can get into an office job so he can survive the failing economy so he can be healthy and have a decent marriage.
First thing to note is the fear. She states “the cold hand of impending doom got us by the neck and squeezed.” The system is working quite well when it can instill actual dread in a parent when the public education system is failing him.
After you've read that blog entry, remember that this is the message that millions of mothers are drumming into the heads of their boys all over the world. I grew up with it myself. My mother constantly told me that I absolutely had to go to college or else I'd be a loser who flipped burgers for the rest of his life. Ironically, my late father never earned a college degree and he did all right for himself and did good by me. My generational peers followed this advice. They went to college and graduated with liberal arts degrees and mortgage levels of debt. I have a liberal arts degree but I graduated debt free, which means I'm much better off than a lot of these other poor kids. The corporate world is not for me as I can't stand walking on egg shells to avoid offending the tender egos of ditzy HR chicks (and the diocesan priesthood is similarly not for me as I have little patience for walking on egg shells around the clip haired, mean faced broads who run the diocesan establishment.)

The only members of my generation who are currently living a reasonably middle class existence are those who work for the government, either in education or health care. Manufacturing jobs and office jobs that pay a living wage are mostly gone here in California. I'll take my chances in self-employment, thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Argh! One of my bugbears!
    I talk about this all the time and my greatest foes are? Home schooling mothers! [well, other than my wife].
    paraphrase of an actual conversation
    Homeschooling Mom of multiple daughters: 'Well, I went off to college and stopped going to Mass and focused on my education and career. I got a Master's and then just really put my whole life into work. Soon I was 32 and lonely and miserable. I returned tot he Church, got my life in order, and married a wonderful man with almost the same story from the other side of the gender line. I was 35 before we started having kids and oh, how I wish I could have had more than 4! I love them but I really regret not having more children when I was young enough'
    [five minutes later]
    HSM: 'My daughters WILL go to college! They MUST develop their intellects! Why, what if they never marry? What if their husband abandons them or dies? No, I've told them since they were learning to read that they will, the must, go to college!'
    It took me 9 months but she's starting to see the disconnect there.

    ReplyDelete