Friday, April 4, 2014

A glimpse into the life of Beefy Levinson

I seldom write about myself because I'm more interested in ideas. My writings about Catholicism, Traditionalism, politics, and culture should stand and fall on their own. But I'll give my four loyal readers a glimpse into the kind of character that I am.

During my spell of unemployment during the Great Recession, I stopped going to bookstores and began frequenting the library more often. It's painful to think that I contributed to the fall of Borders, but there it is. Once upon a time I spent a good deal of my disposable income on dead tree books. My clothes may be out of date and be ragged in some cases, but I have to get my reading on. But when the money is tight, the public library is your friend, particularly their dollar shelves.

A few months ago I picked up a book for one dollar. It's an anthology about a badass dude who kills people for great justice. Some snarky SWPLs claim that Kane is a ripoff of Conan but this only demonstrates their risible ignorance. Conan's attitude toward magic was "OH HELL NO." Kane will use any means necessary to achieve his ends.

Curious about this new character I googled him. It turns out I possess one of only 1200 copies of this book in the entire United States. Hard copies go for up to $200 on Amazon and Ebay, which is pretty good for a fantasy novel. But I will not sell it. Ever. I like it that much. It inspires my own work that much. Make of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment