Sunday, August 17, 2014

Will the real Pope Francis please stand up?

Depressing though it may be, this jives with my sense of Pope Francis:
The impression given by this interview is that the pope “doesn’t do God”. The Francis of El Clarín comes across as a worldly, somewhat banal figure. Having covered the Church of England for most of my journalistic career my antenna has been finely tuned to appreciate episcopal cant – the verbal sludge of conventional wisdom, platitudes and calculated boredom designed to obfuscate that arises in many Anglican interviews. The El Clarín piece has left me feeling at home, and somewhat sticky.
...Of Francis' eleven interviews, ten have been with secular reporters from secular newspapers. The results are interviews that show a Francis who is curiously similar to his interlocutor. Is the pope manipulating the press or is the press manipulating the pope? After 500 days in office, the real Jorge Mario Bergoglio remains elusive.
Scripture isn't my strong suit but I vaguely recall somebody once saying, "Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets."

h/t: Phil Blosser
 

No comments:

Post a Comment