Thursday, September 25, 2014

History doesn't repeat but it does rhyme

In the matter of Cardinal Raymond Burke:
 It has even seemed to me that all the excruciating work, accomplished by the last two popes to save the Church from the tailspin in which they found her, is being undone, and we are repeating all the mistakes of the 1960s and 70s, as if nothing had been learned.
That is my opinion, and of course I could enlarge upon it, pointlessly. I think I could be characterized as a “conservative” or a “traditionalist” or even a “reactionary.” I am happy to wear the epithets, for I think these are the very qualities that have repeatedly saved the Church, in her interactions with the modern, i.e. post-Reformation, world.
Or from her beginning, for that matter; for in my understanding it is not the business of Holy Church to change with the times. It is her business to change the world, rather than be changed by it. To be “liberal” or “reformist” or “progressive” is to be – in most acceptations of those words – to be on the other side, entirely. We should think instead in terms of “recovery” and “restoration”; of “revolution” as return, not breaking out of orbit.
It's bizarre that what was plain old Catholicism 60 years ago is now considered the province of a small coterie of right-wing cranks or a special charism which Rome is currently stamping out in what was a flourishing religious order. 60 years ago I'd be just another bad Catholic. In 2014, I'm not just a bad Catholic but a reactionary extremist as well. I wear it as a badge of honor.

It can be invigorating to be a Traditionalist Catholic. You remain safely orthodox while still enjoying the thrill of rebellion. It's supremely awesome to be part of a Church that is centuries behind the times because it stands above the times. It's deeply embarrassing to be in a Church that is always five minutes behind the times, huffing and puffing to catch up.

H/T: FidesCogitActio

No comments:

Post a Comment