Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thirteen years ago


I was a twenty year old community college student back then. I remember my contemporaries and I wanted someone, anyone to die for what they did to the United States. I tried reenlisting but the Colonel said "Nothin' doin'" for my medical waiver. It's just as well. Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm glad I didn't kill and possibly die to give the Iraqis a few years of breathing space before they inevitably fell to an Islamic police state. Iraq is the greatest American foreign policy blunder since... well, arguably ever. The domino theory didn't pan out with Vietnam but ISIS is present in Iraq, Syria, and God knows where else.

The correct response to 9/11 would have been focusing exclusively on Afghanistan and then pulling out once we'd smashed up the place. Neither the Afghans nor the Iraqis will ever be transformed into mild mannered Minnesota Democrats. It was foolish to try. From what I've seen on Fox News, the neocons have been remarkably shameless about shifting the current state of Iraq onto Obama's shoulders. Many wrongs can be laid at the feet of the baby killer in chief, but the backwardness and savagery of the Islamic world isn't one of them. There's an old joke about there being a twenty year gap between Washington's foreign policy adventures and the demographics of its cabdrivers. I hope Iraq has tasty cuisine because a bunch of Iraqi restaurants will probably be the only thing America gains from this in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment