Sunday, March 8, 2015

Oculi mei semper ad Dominum


Introit, Third Sunday of Lent: My eyes are ever towards the Lord: for he shall pluck my feet out of the snare: look thou upon me, and have mercy on me, for I am alone and poor. To thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul: in thee, O my God, I put my trust: let me not be ashamed. (Fs. XXIV.) Glory be to the Father, etc.

The Novus Ordo actually has entrance antiphons taken from Scripture, but I can't think of a single parish I've ever visited that made use of them for Sunday Mass. Instead, they all choose from the same dozen or so songs written between the 1970s and 90s. Gregorian Chant is uniquely suited to the Christian religion. It has a timeless quality because Scripture is timeless. In contrast, the beloved Novus Ordo repertoire is aging badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment