Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Our fabulous army

Walk of shame:
Blisters, sweat and perhaps a little bit of blood was the sight at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex on Monday, when the men and women of ASU Army ROTC braved the Arizona heat to run in fabulous (and some not-so-fabulous) heels to raise awareness of sexual assault.
On Monday afternoon, ASU Army ROTC program hosted the event, “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” which consisted of students in the ROTC program wearing heels and running 1.26 miles as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
History senior and ROTC member Tanner Bailey said despite the pain he felt running in heels, it was a great experience because he enjoyed running for an issue that was not just important for the military.
“(Sexual assault) is something that the Army has made very important recently,” Bailey said. “I didn’t mind running in shoes because of the message behind the event. I would definitely do it again.”


I enlisted in the Army out of high school and got out just before they gave black berets to everyone, formerly worn only by elite Army Rangers. I don't regret my time but if I were a younger man today there's no way in hell I'd join up.

“In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is… in some small way to become evil oneself. One’s standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.”
― Theodore Dalrymple.

No comments:

Post a Comment