Thursday, April 23, 2015

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel


I'm in my early thirties, and like most people of my generation, I'm an encyclopedia of Simpsons quotes. Some Facebook tomfoolery earlier today got me wondering about something. Every time anyone inserts a Simpsons quote into every day conversation, it's always from seasons 1-10 which were roughly coterminous with the 1990s. It's almost as if everyone stopped paying close attention to the show beginning in 2000. I've watched it once in a while now that FXX is airing reruns. Maybe I'm just looking at my childhood through rose colored glasses, but the show doesn't seem nearly as funny since the turn of the 21st century. It's rather like how WWE fans who came of age during the 1990s swear that the Attitude Era and the Monday Night Wars were the high point of the wrestling industry and it's been all down hill from there.

In fact, I can only recall two amusing Simpsons lines from the last 15 years, both from Principal Skinner. Around the time of the Larry Summers witch hunt, Skinner got fired for publicly saying that boys are generally better at math than girls. Later on he's working under Groundskeeper Willie as his assistant. Lisa asks Skinner's opinion about something and he replies, "I'm not allowed to have opinions anymore. All I can say is no one is better than anyone else and everyone is the best at everything."

The second example is more modest but it made me laugh because I wasn't expecting the left-liberal writers to go there. Skinner is leading the children through a bad part of Capitol City after the bus was destroyed. They're scared but Skinner reassures them, "There there, it'll all be over s... oh dear Lord! We're at the corner of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Cesar Chavez Avenue! Run!"

They should have shot that horse years ago.

2 comments:

  1. It's possible that Matt Groening got tired of the PC police like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think we'd be seeing more of that from more sources. I mean, you can only get so many jokes out of poking fun at core American men.

      Delete