Sunday, May 3, 2015

Overcoming anger, and music break

Donal Graeme offers advice for conquering the anger that comes with red pill knowledge:
Deep Strength has an excellent post up today advising a reader on how to get past the “Anger Phase” of the “Red Pill.” The whole thing is worth reading, so I won’t quote selectively from it. Instead, I wanted to offer a few comments and some practical advice to his reader.
First, I would say that the anger phase is less dangerous than the “Bitter Phase” of the RP. The Bitter phase is what can really destroy a man, and I’ve seen it happen to a number of men who’ve found their way to these parts. Problem is, the Bitter Phase is the next phase after the Anger Phase if a man isn’t careful (a certain amount of bitterness is unavoidable, but the phase involves lingering and stewing in bitterness). Successfully managing the Anger Phase is key to avoiding that slip into bitterness.
Second, I think that anger has some value if channeled appropriately. A little righteous anger can go a long way. If you use it as a motivator and something to give you that initial kick towards self-improvement, then it can be quite helpful. Just don’t rely on it exclusively, or for long.
I was angry at first, and bitter for a while, but more because I wish I knew then what I know now. We're fond of Matrix analogies around here, but a lot of guys forget one of the movie's points: the so-called blue pill folks, for the most part, aren't evil men actively seeking to ruin your life. They're acting according to the beliefs that have been poured into their heads since birth. Some people do quite well in this world while remaining thoroughly blue pill, i.e. our entire industrial-media complex. As Morpheus said, he doesn't promise us happiness or success - only the truth.

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day, I call it a Psalm 137 kind of day:
1 By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and wept, when we remembered Zion. 
2 On the willows there we hung up our lyres. 
3 For there our captors required of us songs, and our tormentors, mirth, saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!" 
4 How shall we sing the LORD's song in a foreign land? 
5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither! 
6 Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy! 
7 Remember, O LORD, against the E'domites the day of Jerusalem, how they said, "Rase it, rase it! Down to its foundations!" 
8 O daughter of Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall he be who requites you with what you have done to us! 
9 Happy shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock!
 
Verses 8 and 9 are usually omitted at Mass and from the post-1960s Divine Office, heh.

2 comments:

  1. When you come to the red pill later in life (late 50s for me) the temptation to be bitter is strong: about all the lost time and bad decisions made without knowledge. Even in me blue pill days (most of my adult life), I knew something wasn't right, but I couldn't put it into words until the 'sphere came into being. But starting over in the same way I could have at 30 - or even 40 - is not possible. I just have to accept that some ships have sailed and make the best of it. Now I view it as an opportunity to pass on what I have learned to younger men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verses 8 and 9 are usually omitted at Mass and from the post-1960s Divine Office, heh.

    Imagine that...

    ReplyDelete