Friday, July 24, 2015

My latest article at Return of Kings

This week we briefly examine some of the classical arguments for God's existence:
Atheist polemicists portray religious faith as an irrational belief that has no supporting evidence at all. Theists reply that of course there is evidence for the existence of God, the atheists respond that it’s not real evidence, and round and round they go. It’s not my purpose here to convert you to Christianity, although I’d be gratified if my writings played a part in that, however small. I suspect most RoK readers already have strong, settled opinions on the question of God’s existence.
My aim is to briefly outline the classical arguments for the existence of God. Some of these arguments are incomprehensible to the secular modern, as they assume a classical background in philosophy and theology, but that says more about the secular modern education system than it does about the arguments.
Christianity is integral to Western tradition over the past 2,000 years and all men should have a basic knowledge of why our ancestors believed what they did.
Read the rest there.

It's a big subject which is difficult to do the proper justice in the space of one column. I expect the comments will be along the lines of, "You don't truly understand X," and, "On the contrary, it is you who doesn't truly understand X or Y."

Very few Catholics are aware that we are doctrinally bound to believe that the existence of God can be proven with certainty with unaided human reason. From her canons:
1. If anyone says that the one, true God, our creator and lord, cannot be known with certainty from the things that have been made, by the natural light of human reason: let him be anathema.
Of course this does not mean we are capable of attaining perfect knowledge of God on our own power:
If anyone says that in divine revelation there are contained no true mysteries properly so-called, but that all the dogmas of the faith can be understood and demonstrated by properly trained reason from natural principles: let him be anathema.
Faith is above reason but there can never be any true contradiction between faith and reason.

You can read the entirety of Vatican I's published documents in one day. They're a model of precision, clarity, and force unlike another council of more recent vintage.

 

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic article. I felt like I was back in philosophy classes :) I have been writing about similar subjects: how science is yet another form of revelation and how belief precedes existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have already done so but would you be willing to share how you came to Catholicism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mentioned bits and pieces of it on this blog over the years, but I don't think I've ever written out the whole thing. I will do so soon.

      Delete